A Chronological History
The original company, E. Price’s and Company, was founded by partners William Wilson and Benjamin Lancaster and based at Battersea in the United Kingdom. Because the two men did not wish to associate their names with an industry considered vulgar, they named the firm after some distant and presumably less sensitive aunt on Mr. Lancaster’s side.
It was during this period that they purchased the patent for the separation of solid and liquid constituents that were required as substitutes for tallow (fat) in candle making.
The white candle is developed by using equal parts of stearic acid from tallow and the hard fat from coconut oil plus further improved by the use of a French patented plaited wick.
E Price’s and Company converted into a public company with a capital of £ 500 000
Paraffin wax displaced stearine as the most important candle making raw material. The former is obtained from distilling oil shale or petroleum to produce a wax distillate and further refined to paraffin wax.
Price’s Candles Limited jointly owned by Shell, BP, Burma Oil and Unilever.
Price’s Candles Ltd bought Burmeister Candle Factory in Cape Town. The land and buildings were sold in 1923 and a new factory was built in Observatory.
Factory built in Newtown, Johannesburg and later extended in 1923.
Sasol started producing medium wax and Price’s Johannesburg installed the first liquid wax tanks in South Africa.
Factory in Observatory burnt down and rebuilt
Level SA ceased as selling agents and decision taken to trade directly with selected wholesalers and retail chains.
Price’s Candles SA started purchasing own paraffin wax.
Introduced seven extrusion candle making machines into South Africa. The extrusion method of producing candles was developed by Price’s UK for large production of candles.
Shell UK purchased the 64% shareholding of Price’s Candles Limited from BP Trading (28%) and Burma Oil (36%) and sold the business rights of Price’s Candles (SA) to Shell SA (Pty) Ltd. The South African company now trades as a division of Shell SA.
Price’s Candles (SA) (Pty) Ltd registered on 1 January as a wholly owned subsidiary of Shell SA, falling within the Business Venture Division.
Two new Herrhammer drawing machines are introduced at the Johannesburg factory. A third factory is opened in East London.
White River factory acquired from H Timmerman.
Durban factory (76%) share acquired from Suleman family.
Diversified into detergents and insecticides by taking over from Temana, the Teepol, Tabard and Vapona range of products.
Commissioning of own sweating plant in December for the production of local waxes proceeded at Cera, at a cost of R 4.5 million.
Late 80’s Sasol Chem acquires Price’s Candles SA from Shell SA and operates it as a division.
Incorporated by Sasol Chem into the Schümann-Sasol Joint venture and managed by the latter entity also as a division.
Price’s Candles division is sold to Daelite Industries (Pty) Ltd. Price’s Daelite (Pty) Ltd, a new company is registered.
Closed down all operations except Johannesburg. Extended and renovated the entire factory and offices. Concentrates now on manufacturing and selling of domestic candles only.
Sasol Wax becomes the owners of Price’s Daelite (Pty) Ltd. In January the company’s name is changed to Price’s Candles (Pty) Ltd.
Decorative candle range introduced to South African customers.
Price’s Candles becomes a division of Sasol Chemical Industries in January.
Obtains BS OHSAS 18001 : 2007 certification from DQS GmbH during December.